Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The burdens of the disabled

by mel amarillo

While everyone was queueing at  the near-center aisle of our village church to receive communion from the lay-minister that Sunday, I was seated at the far end side of the pew near the entrance side- gate.  Every once in awhile I turned around to see if the line was still long.  Those returning to their seats passed my way that I lost sight of the queue that I had to rush get my walking-stick and went on to receive the Eucharistic bread.  But with my condition that I cannot walk without that stick after I had a stroke  some years back, and the moment I reached the receiving area the minister just left.

A stocky-looking woman in her 50s intervene, hold me by my left arm and said "di kayo nabigyan Sir? ( you did not receive communion Sir?)  Its all ok, its my fault. I cannot walk as fast. And it won't make me less Christian anyway. was my reply.  "No that's unfair. Wait I'll send someone inside and tell the priest, she insisted."  The usherette 'mother bottler' as they are called joined the fray explaining why we cannot call him back, its finished." she said.  As if telling me better luck next time Sir, she said, in a low voice "  next time na lang Sir ok?"  But the elderly woman looking like being overpowered insisted, "Wait I've sent someone inside", her voice becoming forceful.  I was standing with my cane in their mid  feeling my knees trembling, not scared but tired. I raised my right palm between the faces of the two debaters as to signal them to be quiet because many people are looking while others are giggling.  I, myself felt I was disturbing the peace.  Then the priest himself arrived bringing the host and everybody was calm.

Back to my seat a little boy seated near me, who was earlier very restless 'hiper-active ' told me "siguro di po kayo nag bayad kanina sa basket kaya di kayo pinakain" ( Kuya maybe you did not put money into basket that you were not allowed to eat."

                            * * *

Outside the church
When I was inside the car I saw the woman with her two companions,  I opened my window to give her thanks for the assistance.  She said, " taga Zamboanga City kami, di puede sa amen yun ganyan." ( We are from Zamboanga city and we do not tolerate that kind of incident." So you are from Zamboanga city, you should know my relatives there, the Amarillo, Salapudin etc.... etc.. was my reply To cut the story short, what was to be a minute of giving thanks turned into a 15-minute story telling of relatives.and distant relatives. And more they are now my facebook friends.

I've never been to Zamboanga. Yet I know the place is beautiful, sans kidnapping an terror bombing as it was in the past.  Nevertheless Zamboanga SYS or see you soon.

I am not ashamed being disabled. Though I cannot do what normal persons do I create my own way of doing things and still do the same though at a slower pace. And I'm proud of what I'm doing.  Disability  does not mean you stop living your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment